The Foundation of The Sisterhood:
- We support the trauma model of treatment for wives and partners of sex addicts.
- We do not believe that sex addiction is an actual disease, but rather a symptom of a much deeper mental disorder.
- The Sisterhood of Support does not believe that 12 step programs are effective in treating these behaviors.
- We believe that co-dependent/co-addict labels are harmful and cause further damage and trauma to an already traumatized partner or spouse.
- We believe that wives and partners of these misdiagnosed ‘sex addicts’ are victims of domestic abuse.
- Sex addiction is the the last vestige of ‘victim blaming’ and it needs to stop.
We believe that sex addiction is Domestic Abuse.
Here is the US Department of Justice has to say about Domestic Abuse:
Emotional Abuse: Undermining an individual’s sense of self-worth and/or self-esteem is abusive. This may include, but is not limited to constant criticism, diminishing one’s abilities, name-calling, or damaging one’s relationship with his or her children.